Monday, April 6, 2015

Game of Thrones: Episode 3 - The Sword in the Darkness

By: Robert Murphy



It seems as though the endless cycle of torment continues onward for House Forrester but hope may soon be on the way at least that is what I was praying for as I started the latest episode of Telltales Game of Thrones. But, like anything with Game of Thrones my hope would surely be quickly dashed as it is something of a double edged sword for this universe. Nothing good comes to the story without something equally or more terrible waiting around the corner. Will the remaining members of House Forrester be able to break free and reclaim dignity and glory for their house? Well, let’s find out.


Two new editions joined the party in episode two, Rodrik and his banished brother Asher both began their stories and efforts to try and protect their house from being destroyed. Unfortunately, Rodrik continues to have a rough go of things in this episode as well, he is not only cripple and badly disfigured but the pressures of running a house weigh heavily on him and everyone is looking to him for answers. It’s seems harsh to expect so much of someone who can’t even wield a sword and can barely ride a horse, however, we do see signs of his strength returning. It is wonderful to see him start to stand on his own two feet because frankly he is getting his butt handed to him and that doesn’t change this time around either. The cycle of abuse continues back at home for Rodrik with the arrival of Lord Whitehills son, Griff. He is just as unpleasant as his father is and aims to show you nothing but discontent and ridicule in this chapter.

You are once again forced to go through an experience like the one last episode with kissing Lord Whitehills ring and must choose to rise up or set your pride aside until it is time to strike. Nothing you do seems to help though once again and it’s really getting on my nerves to be honest. On the bright side, there is a promising development when you find out that aid could be found in an unexpected ally. You not only learn why Asher was possibly banished but also you gain valuable intelligence that finally adds a spark to the Ironwrath story.


As for Asher, things are getting increasingly tense as the struggle to help your family but also stay true to your friendship begins to cause problems. While making your way to Daenerys and her potential aid of an army, you find yourself in between a large black scaly dragon and the soldiers you were formerly being chased after last episode. A critical moment arises where your Uncle Malcolm and Beskha are both in trouble and need your help but you can only help one. Why? Why do you do this to me? My choice was probably the obvious one but no matter what your loyalty to one or the other will lead to some scorn by somebody. Outside of this things don’t get too critical, just a unfriendly meeting with your old friend, fighting a blood thirsty dragon and ending up before the Queen herself to spice things up. Much of what Asher is doing across the Narrow Sea provides action for the story and that isn’t a bad thing, plenty of what lies around the corner for him is about to get tough and I’m eagerly awaiting what is about to happen.


Further adding to the spiciness of things, we head back to the Wall where Gared takes on his vows and enters into the Night’s Watch as a full fledged ranger. Not only that, he also receives an unexpected visit from his Uncle and they discuss the North Grove. It was a secret that has been bubbling under the surface and one that I was waiting to pop back up again. We receive new information on its whereabouts and you quickly realize that Gared is going to have to make a hard decision between his duty and his family. The whole thing finally made me feel some love for Gared’s character and story as things have been rather stagnant for him. Now though things are definitely heating up for him.

An unexpected surprise also happens for Gared as well with the arrival of the new recruits to the Wall. We see the potential for some very sweet revenge, the kind that you always know will be so delicious if it ends up happening because it is just so rare for Game of Thrones and I can’t say I hated it in the least. It does bring up the upsetting fact that some of your decisions for the game don’t appear to be all that critical. One minute I’m busting open my friend’s face to defend my other friend and now we’re all good friends again. Also, when Jon Snow chimes in and tells me to forgive and forget and not do anything rash now that we’re all brothers, I knew that I wouldn’t have any choice later on.


This fact also continued to bother me with Mira’s story too. Lady Margaery isn’t happy in the least to find out that you now have made friends with Tyrion Lannister. She doesn’t know the extent of what you have done with him but never the less she isn’t pleased, especially since the Queen has heard about the two of you together as well. It never ends in King’s Landing, everyone is a big baby who needs their back scratch after they were slighted in some way and it is pretty accurate to the real thing. However, whether you choose to continue your friendship with Tyrion is about the cause problems for your relationship with Margaery. For me, I have done nothing but support Lady Margaery in the hopes that she’ll soon help me but I finally said “screw you” to that as she hasn’t done me any good. The fact that she almost immediately rights me off after this makes me angry though, sure I did turn my back to you but I’ve supported you all the way and I’m doing it to help my family. It makes you question all of your decision making and wonder if there is any real consequence to your actions though. Like everything for Game of Thrones, you just have to cross your fingers and hope for the best.


I am pleased with The Sword in the Darkness as there is plenty of forward motion this time around. All the character’s stories are starting to heat up, Gared is hopefully on his way to the secret of the North Grove, Asher may be about to make friends with Daenrys and Mira continues her efforts as she always has, God I feel bad for that girl. Hopefully, Rodrik will also see a powerful return in the next chapter as well, he receives some new intelligence and his strength returning means he may soon be able to fight back and break the never ending torture back at Ironwrath. Everything is just so juicy with this chapter that I can hardly contain myself and I’m ready to dig right into the next.


Good:

- We see some solid story building and potential for the next chapter

- Gared finally gains some intrigue for his story

- Mira continues to impress


Bad:

- Decision making is starting to feel like a flop

- Rodrik still getting bullied hard and is a genuine repeat from the last chapter



Scully Rating: 8.0 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment