Wednesday, May 22, 2013

In the News: Xbox One

Hey guys, Zach here.  Well, yesterday saw the reveal of the next generation console from Microsoft: the Xbox One.  And while I have yet to hear a lot of specifics on the event, since I was working and couldn't actually sit down and watch the event, I have tried getting back up to speed since then, and the news couldn't be more bleak.  This covers the basic "news," what follows here will be some facts and speculation, mixed with the opinions of a potential Sony convert.

New doesn't always mean better...

First off, let's start with something silly: the name.  I know that the Xbox 360 made people go, "wow, how did I miss Xbox 2 through 359," and while it did supply a good joke or two, we rolled with it.  However, I haven't thought up any good jokes yet, and I just get a little confused since the first Xbox is a decade old at this point.  I just wonder who they hired to name the thing, I'm not seeing any good marketing angle at work here.


I've seen too many creeper movies about corporations spying on people with products and such, and why should I need one of these to play Elder Scrolls?


Now, another detail I have read is that the console will require both internet and Kinect to function.  This, after being unable to update this very site for a week due to bad internet, is frightening.  While the internet requirement hasn't been confirmed, it has been the subject of conflicting responses from the Microsoft staff when asked.  The Kinect is upsetting because I have never been interested in Kinect.  After I bought my Wii, I played it for about a week, then I lost all interest in the motion gaming.  If I want to be active, I'll go outside and do something, I don't need a Wii to stay active.  The motion-gaming gimmick really needs to stop.  While the Wii may look impressive on paper, everyone I know who bought one let it rot after a month or so.    This also seems like another way of draining our wallets to put cameras in our living rooms so Microsoft can spy on us... o.O

However, the single biggest issue I had wasn't in the details that they announced, it was with they seemed to completely overlook: THE F%$#ING GAMES!!!!!!!!! The games are what the Xbox name has been built on, and while they claim to be holding out for E3, why hold this event in the first place?  All I have seen and heard is that this was trying to sell us an entertainment system, something to watch live TV and sports games, while using all the clever features and such that they were working on.  I'll gladly go back to playing 32-bit games if that means that I'll get to actually enjoy myself.  I don't care about showmanship. I don't want something that looks clever, just make it actually clever.  Make it load games faster, give it a solid state hard drive or something, just show me that this console has the hardware and features that actually support and enhance my gaming experience, not televised sporting events.  It almost seems like Microsoft has been bought and paid for by EA, because everything this console does has catered to what EA tries to sell. The few bits relating to gamers just show some fancy graphics that are done in CGI trailers, not in-game engines.

None of this relates to games... at all.  I mean, I get all this on my cable box already.


(Here's the "too long, gimmie short" version)

In short, I'm disappointed.  I hope the E3 conference will have better news, but from what I've seen I won't get my hopes up too high.  While I love my Xbox 360, it feels more like Microsoft has been bought by EA, who have consistently disappointed me with ruining game franchises (Mass Effect 3's story, SWTOR, Dragon Age 2).  Now it looks like the disease has spread to an entire console, with Xbox One looking more like a VCR that is supposed to play TV and allow me to post on Facebook that "i jus shot my bff rob in cod, best nyght everrrrrrr lol #yolo #supernerd."  .....You have no idea how sick I made myself typing that, by the way.  The point is that I don't think we need to see all of these pointless features, I want to see how this console will appeal to those of us that are just in it for the games, because I already have a TV to watch TV on, and a computer to do Facebook and what-not, and I don't like Madden or sports all that much, so why should I care about this?  Hopefully, I'm just overeacting, and soon we'll have all the details about what gaming angle is, but then this announcement was a waste of time to showcase a gaming system.  Oh well, we'll just see what happens...

No comments:

Post a Comment