Sunday, March 22, 2015

Cities: Skylines

Sean Dibble


As most of our followers know, I love simulation games, city builders in particular. Why, you ask? Because these games give you the creative ability to build whatever you want however you want. Cities: Skylines takes it to a whole new level, adding many things that I wish other city builders had. This game has impressed me so much in just the few days I have owned it, and I cant wait to share my experience with all of you.

Cities: Skylines’s gameplay is by far, and I do not say this lightly, THE BEST OF THE CITY BUILDERS OUT THERE. Yes, the caps are needed to display how much this game has impressed me. Graphically, the game is beautiful. Mechanically, the game is so far beyond others of its kind that they simply have no chance of catching up.


Where to begin? Well, let’s start with what brings most simulation gamers to the table: mechanics. Not to mention you can build a city 9 times larger than SimCity. As previously mentioned, the game’s mechanics are leaps and bounds ahead of other city builders like SimCity and Cities XXL (not by the same company). To start, you need to lay down a power source. However, in most other games, imaginary lines will link the city to those sources without question. Not Cities: Skylines. You actually have to lay down the power lines from the source, wherever it is. The player has plenty of options for energy, including windmills and coal for earlier in the game. Later on, you have the ability to build a dam and use nearby water as an energy source, or use solar energy to power your city.

Granted, once the lines hit the city, you don't need to build power lines down city streets. The power grid will expand as the city expands, but I'm happy that you need to think about the position of the power lines before you lay them down. For example, I had to seriously consider where I wanted to lay down my lines so that my underground lines received power. I tend to play this game from an efficiency standpoint rather than an aesthetic standpoint, so I had a line run straight under the middle of the city in my single-player game; but when Murphy and I were both mayors in a multiplayer game, we decided to run it to the side instead.

Another amazing mechanic is the water and sewage lines. Most other city builders let you place a water source or a sewage pump, and then the lines are automatically put down. Well, think again; Cities: Skylines makes you lay down the water lines yourself. Other than this, though, most everything else is the same as other city builder games. Yet, Skylines just seems to do it much better. It has a great leveling system based off of your population, and it makes you feel special as you grow from a little hamlet to a large city, unlocking things as you go. One thing to note is when you unlock something, the people of your city will actually start to demand it, making it hard not to try out new things.



Now, let’s move on to the graphics. They’re great for a simulation game. In fact, they compete with SimCity. It’s a close match, but I believe that Skylines wins by just a hair. They seem to have a lot of different buildings and the roads that look great. Water actually flows and you can see the flow as it goes downstream. You can see logos and physical characteristics of windmills and other buildings, you can even zoom in on people and cars driving down the street, and it looks just like the real world. This game is just so aesthetically pleasing, just thinking about it makes me want to get back in the game and see the beautiful world the game developers have created.

One thing that I wish though is that the game offered a day/night cycle, but I also understand that the development of games like this takes a lot of time and effort, especially on a budget. Besides, the days fly by in the game, so it would be difficult to actually show the day/night cycle in action.


Also worth noting is that the developers have announced that they’ll be releasing tons of new, free content, along with some paid DLC. This means that there will be new and interesting things to try out as time goes on, adding to the replayability of the game. One thing they mentioned was the ability to build tunnels, so that’s something that I can’t wait to mess around with.


Overall, the game is great, and I will be playing it for a long time to come. Skylines is so much fun that SNR Gaming will be doing a Let’s Play of it. So, if you’re unsure about the game, and I haven’t convinced you with this review, check out our YouTube series. Murphy and I will be trying our hands out as Mayors of Puztopia.

So, what are you waiting for? Go out and have fun building cities.



Good:

- Mechanics are leaps and bound better than all other city builders.

- Graphics are amazing and lifelike.

- Fun game worthy of hours of gameplay.

- Devs said more to come… for free.

Bad:

- No day/night cycle is my only gripe.



Scully Rating 9.5 out of 10



No comments:

Post a Comment