Thursday, February 27, 2014

Topics: Good Reasons NOT to Buy Next Gen...Yet

Sean Dibble
So you're a gamer and well that LAST gen system is SO last year, what to do? Obviously the answer is to go out and buy the newest and best the two powerhouses have to offer (sorry Nintendo but you are no longer a powerhouse for most gamers.) If that is your logic as a gamer, I feel bad for you son, I have 99 problems but the next gen ain't one. So, me personally, I think that you should hold off, and I will even be so nice as to tell you why. So without further ado, here is my list.

1.        The Price- Yes all consoles are expensive, especially when they first come out but $500 for the Xbox One and $400 for the PS4 and neither of them come with a game for that price? Really? And yes, I can hear my ears ringing as I am typing this all of you are saying "It is worth the price" or "Its new of course it will be that expensive." But why gamers why does it need to be so expensive when they first come out and for that price I want a game I can play with them, but no because we spend the money the companies know they don't need to include games because they know we just end up saying "what is another $60 bucks....and don't forget you need another controller so there is another $50. So just starting out with Xbox One and 2 controllers and a game you are looking at close to $610 and for the same package for the PS4 $510

2.        Launch Games- Games at launch, well, THEY SUCK. They are usually ports from the previous generation or they are brand new games that have a lot of issues. They may look beautiful, but well, let's be honest, Ryse and Knack are not games you will be playing a year from now. Yes, Ryse for the Xbox and Killzone: Shadowfall are graphically stunning and visually will blow your mind. Ryse is just a quick time game that will get old quick and Killzone, sad to say from a killzone fan, but the story falls short. Also launch games are limited you buy the console and get what 4 or 5 games to choose from and two of them happen to be games from EA...I really suggest wait at least a few months

3.        Pay to play-Ok ok, so really you are not paying to play the game after you buy it....but well are you not? Let me explain myself here. You already pay the internet company right what 40 to 100+ to use the internet pending on what type you have and where you live. Now you go out and buy that brand new console and have to pay  5 bucks a month to play multiplayer......wait, what? So I already pay for the internet why do I need to pay to play games online?

4.        Backwards Compatibility- OH WAIT....They are not, so that library of games you have spent money on over the years can't be played on that new system of yours. So what do you do buy them again when it comes out digitally for the new system (if you have gotten rid of that pesky old gen system) or do you keep your old system and PRAY it doesn't break? And most of you are like me have to trade things in to help lower the price, but if you're like me you hold on to a few games (Mass Effect Trilogy, Fallout and Skyrim) so now you can't play those games but well they just look so darn pretty on your bookshelf collecting dust.

Now, I'm not saying that if you buy a new system you are a idiot, it's just smarter to wait a few months let the price drop, new and better games for the improved software and for your old games that you love to come on them and be cheap (eventually they will developers love your money.) Now there is nothing you can do about the monthly membership fee but granted it is not that much I just like to bitch. But now you're asking yourself well he makes a good point (somewhat) but what are some of my options? Well I have a few for you.

1.        Keep the old system. believe me they will make games for the 360/PS3 for a few more years. They are not going to abandon their old systems just like that. They need to phase them out so they can get people like me who are holdouts to slowly find games they want to play on them and buy into the new systems.


2.        Get a gaming PC. yes it can be an expensive step but I promise you most of the games that go to consoles go to PCs as well. Want to know something else...it is a secret so keep it between me and you ITS BACKWARD COMPATIBLE....I'm playing games from the '90s and enjoying it. Also you can keep upgrading your gaming rig so in the long run its better than a console (my opinion not the sites opinion) 

No comments:

Post a Comment